Students and parents who are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) can access it from within the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the student or parent finances pages:
- Click Link To IRS. (Note: If you have already used the IRS DRT to transfer your tax return information into your application, click the "View option to link to the IRS" hyperlink.)
- Enter your FSA ID. (Note: The person whose tax information is being transferred should enter his or her own FSA ID. Students will not be asked to enter their FSA ID if they entered an FSA ID to begin their FAFSA.)
- Your FAFSA will be saved and you will be transferred to the IRS Web site.
- On the IRS Web site, enter the requested information exactly as it appears on your tax return. If you get an error that there's no match, double check your information, including the exact mailing address on your return.
- Once authenticated with the IRS, you will be provided with information surrounding your IRS tax information. You can either transfer your information from the IRS, or choose to return to FAFSA on the Web.
If you use the IRS DRT to transfer your tax return information from the IRS, the information will not display on your FAFSA. For your protection, the answer to each question is replaced with "Transferred from the IRS."
The IRS DRT allows you to securely transfer original IRS tax return information, but not Form 1040X amended tax return information. If you filed a Form 1040X amended tax return, you may need to work with your Financial Aid Administrator to ensure that any information you corrected on Form 1040X is reflected in the amounts transferred to your FAFSA.