Most students and parents are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if they have already filed their taxes.
However, there are a few scenarios in which students and parents are ineligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, such as:
- The student/parent is married, and either the student/parent or his/her spouse filed as Married Filing Separately.
- The student/parent is married, and either the student/parent or his/her spouse filed as Head of Household.
- The parents' marital status is "Unmarried and both parents living together."
- The student/parent filed an amended tax return.
- The student/parent filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
Any students or parents who meet the above criteria will need to enter their tax return information manually.
Additionally, students or parents who filed their tax returns electronically within the last three weeks, or through the mail within the last 11 weeks, might need to enter their tax return information manually or return at a later date to transfer their tax return information into the FAFSA, as their tax return information might not be available for transfer from the IRS.