While completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you must list at least one college to receive your information.
You can list up to ten colleges. If you want to apply to more than ten colleges, you can submit the FAFSA and add more colleges later.
If you don't know your college's Federal School Code:
- Select the state in which the college is located. This is a required field.
- The city and school name fields are optional but they can help you narrow down your search results. You may enter the full city or college name or a common abbreviation. For example, “NYC” for New York City or “Virginia Tech” for Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Once you click Search, we will search our database and display your results in order by best match. You can re-sort the list in alphabetical order by School Name.
- You can also search for Federal School Codes from the FAFSA on the Web home page at www.fafsa.ed.gov by clicking School Code Search. Select the school year for which you are applying and select the state, then click Search. To narrow your search, you may enter the City and/or School Name.
If you know your college's Federal School Code:
- Enter the Federal School Code for the college, then click Search. The college you searched for will display in the Search Results table.
If you want to add one or more schools to the Selected Schools list:
- From the Search Results, you can select up to ten colleges to add to your list of Selected Schools. You can select an individual school, or you can press the Ctrl button on your keyboard and select multiple schools, and then click the ADD>> button to add the school(s) to your list of Selected Schools.
If you want to delete a school from the list:
- If you want to delete a college, click the word Remove on the same line as the college you want to delete. This will remove the college from your list of Selected Schools.
If you want to move a school up or down in priority in your list:
- To move a school up or down in priority in your list, select the school and click the Up or Down buttons. To move a school to the top of the list, select the school and click the First button. To move a school to the bottom of the list, select the school and click the Last button.
When you receive the Student Aid Report (SAR) after your FAFSA is processed, it will contain a code called a Data Release Number (DRN). Your DRN will also be located on your confirmation page. You can provide this code to additional colleges so they can access your information electronically.