This is a FAFSA4caster question.

If you have provided parental information, this question cannot be left blank.

The net worth of your parents’ current investments is the amount leftover after deducting the debt from the value of the investment.

For example: Your parents own an investment property valued at $100,000, however, $75,000 in debt is owed on the property. The net worth of the investment is $25,000 ($100,000-$75,000 = $25,000.)

If your parents own multiple investments, total the net worth amounts and report them as a lump sum.

For example: Your parents own two investment properties. One property’s net worth is $25,000 and the other property’s net worth is $15,000, the total net worth of current investments is $40,000.

If your parents’ net worth is:

Net worth value Enter
Ten million or more 9999999
Zero or less than zero 0

Round to the nearest dollar and do not use commas or decimal points.

Investments include real estate (do not include the home in which your parents live), trust funds, UGMA and UTMA accounts, money market funds, mutual funds, certificates of deposit, stocks, stock options, bonds, other securities, installment and land sale contracts (including mortgages held), commodities, etc.

Note: UGMA and UTMA accounts are considered assets of the student, and must be reported as an asset of the student on the FAFSA4caster, regardless of the student’s dependency status.

Investments also include qualified educational benefits or education savings accounts such as Coverdell savings accounts, 529 college savings plans and the refund value of 529 prepaid tuition plans.

Note: Students who must report parental information on this form should report all qualified educational benefits or education savings accounts owned by the parents and / or the dependent student as part of the parental assets.

Investments do not include the home in which your parents live; cash, savings and checking accounts; the value of life insurance and retirement plans (401[k] plans, pension funds, annuities, noneducation IRAs, Keogh plans, etc.).

If you need additional help, view available Help options for assistance.