How do I request a PIN?


To request a PIN:

  1. Go to the Federal Student Aid PIN Web site at

    • If you never received a PIN, choose Apply For A PIN.
    • If you have a PIN but lost or forgot it, choose Request A Duplicate PIN.
    • If you think someone else knows your PIN, choose Change My PIN.
  1. Answer the questions that display on the screen. You must indicate how you want to receive your PIN.
  2. Verify your mailing address and e-mail address.
  3. Click the Submit Request button and wait for the confirmation page to display.

If you choose to have the PIN displayed now, we will display it on the confirmation page.

If you choose to have the PIN e-mailed to you, we will send an e-mail immediately notifying you that your PIN was created and how to retrieve it.

You should not request a duplicate PIN if you think your PIN was compromised. Instead, you should change your PIN if you think someone else knows it. You can choose your own new PIN, or we can randomly generate one for you. To change your PIN, click Change My PIN on the left side of the PIN Home Page.

To ensure that your PIN e-mail notification is delivered to your e-mail inbox, enter our originating e-mail address,, into your e-mail address book.

Help Print

Close Help