Your school’s Federal School Code will pre-fill the first Federal School Code field when you enter an initial FAFSA using FAA Access to CPS Online and when you correct a FAFSA using FAA Access to CPS Online if your school code is not listed on the record. To search for additional Federal School Codes (if the student wants to apply to other schools) in Application Entry, click the Search button next to the appropriate Federal School Code field and follow these steps:
- Select the state where the school is located from the state list.
- (optional) Enter the city or keyword(s) of the city in the City text box to distinguish between separate branches of the same school within the same state. You may enter the full name or commonly accepted abbreviations of the city in the City text box. For example, you can enter “St. Paul” for Saint Paul, or “NYC” for “New York City.” When entering the city, be certain that the school uses that city in its mailing address. Many schools are located in suburbs near a larger city with which the school is commonly associated.
- (optional) Enter the school's name or keyword(s) of the school's name in the School Name text box. You can enter the school’s full name, or commonly accepted abbreviations or aliases for the school. For example, you can enter “Virginia Tech” for Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, or you can enter "St.," "Mt.," and "Univ" as abbreviations for "Saint," "Mount," and "University."
- (optional) Choose an attribute that you want the resulting list of schools to be sorted by. Select: Best Match, School Name, Address, City, or Federal School Code from the Sort by list. (By default, the search results are initially displayed in order by “best match” – that is, the results that most closely match the search criteria you entered are displayed at the top of the search results list.)
- Click the Next button at the lower right part of the page to search for the Federal School Code.
Note: If you enter a keyword in the school name AND city fields, the results will display all schools that match the school name OR the city in the state selected.
The results page will list the schools that match your entry. If you do not find the name of the school you want, try revising your search. Then, click the Next button and wait for the search to complete.
If you are searching for a foreign school’s Federal School Code, follow these steps:
- Select Foreign Country from the dropdown box in the State field.
- Leave the City field blank.
- Type the School Name keyword(s).
- Click Next.
If you are searching for a foreign school’s Federal School Code and the School Code Search does not find that school's Federal School Code on file, refer to the Customer Service page.
Note: You may not search for additional school codes in Correction Entry.