Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) provides a snapshot of your family's financial situation as of the date you sign and submit your FAFSA. If the processed information on your Student Aid Report (SAR) is not accurate as of the date that you signed and submitted your FAFSA, then you must correct it.

Certain fields, especially those pertaining to your financial information and marital status, should not be changed unless your answers were incorrect on the day your FAFSA was submitted. The fields that should not be changed include "on the day you submitted your FAFSA" in the question.

FAFSA on the Web allows you to correct information and add or remove school codes. The only information that cannot be corrected online is your Social Security Number (SSN). If you filed a FAFSA using an incorrect SSN, you can change that SSN by either entering the correct one on a paper SAR, or asking the financial aid office at one of the schools listed on your SAR to change it for you. Otherwise, you must file a new FAFSA with the correct SSN. Contact the financial aid office at your college with questions, or to determine if there are deadlines you need to meet.

If you need a paper SAR, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center to request a copy. Refer to the Help page for contact information.

If you think you need to correct your FAFSA, but you aren’t sure, contact the financial aid office at your college for assistance.