The name, date of birth (DOB), and Social Security Number (SSN) you list on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must exactly match what you listed when you registered for your FSA ID.
This error often occurs when you put the student's FSA ID in a parent field or vice versa. That's the first thing you should check. This is one reason why it's very important that you do not use anyone's FSA ID but your own.
If switching student and parent is not the problem, you can check to see if your FAFSA and FSA ID information match up by following these steps:
Check FSA ID Information
- Go to https://fsaid.ed.gov.
- Click the "Manage My FSA ID" tab.
- Enter your FSA ID username and password. If your parent's FSA ID caused the error, he or she should follow these steps.
- Click the LOGIN button.
- Check the name, DOB, and SSN listed, and verify that all three match exactly what appears on your Social Security card. If everything matches, proceed to the next step. If not, correct the information and save it (Note: If you edit your FSA ID information, you may need to wait up to 3 days for that information to process before you can use your FSA ID to log into FAFSA on the Web).
Check FAFSA on the Web Information
- Go to fafsa.gov and click the LOGIN button.
- If you're the student, enter your FSA ID username and password on the left. If you're the parent, use the "Enter the student's information" option on the right.
- Enter the Save Key if asked.
- Verify that the name, DOB and SSN match what was in the FSA ID account information.
If you're getting this error, it means that either the name, DOB, or SSN from your FSA ID and FAFSA do not match. If you checked and they do match and you're still getting an error, the owner of the FSA ID can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 for FSA ID assistance.