The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and transfer the data directly into their FAFSA from the IRS Web site.
To use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the application on the student or parent finances pages:
- If you have already used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax return information into your application, then click the “View option to link to the IRS” hyperlink. (Note: If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and have not previously used it to transfer your tax return information into your application, then the “View option to link to the IRS” hyperlink does not display; skip ahead to step 2.)
- Click Link To IRS.
- Enter your FSA ID. (Note: Students will not be asked to enter their FSA ID if they entered an FSA ID to begin their FAFSA.)
- Your FAFSA will be saved and you will be transferred to the IRS Web site.
- On the IRS Web site, enter the requested information exactly as it appears on your tax return.
- After the IRS has validated your identification, your IRS tax information will display. You can either transfer your information from the IRS, or choose to return to FAFSA on the Web.
If you transfer your IRS tax information, questions that are populated with that tax information will be marked with “Transferred from the IRS.”
Note: The person whose tax information is being transferred should enter his or her FSA ID.