What if I (or my parents) haven’t completed taxes yet?


If you or your parents have not completed your taxes yet, you can estimate your income and other tax return information, and then correct your application after you have filed your taxes.

When estimating your tax return information, you should indicate that you will file your taxes. If your 2015 income is similar to your 2014 income, use your 2014 tax return to provide estimates for questions about your income. If your income is not similar, use the Income Estimator for assistance estimating your adjusted gross income, and answer the remaining questions about your income to the best of your ability.

You must return to update the estimates you provided with your 2015 tax return information once you file. To update your estimates, click Make FAFSA Corrections after logging in to FAFSA on the Web. Navigate to the “Finances” section and indicate that you have already completed your taxes. If your tax return information is available and if you are eligible to do so, you should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax return information into your application.

Help Print

Close Help